Friday, July 24, 2009

Obama's in Trouble

I have to say that I have been pleased in the last 24 hours to see that Obama's popularity with the media hasn't stunted their ability to report on the foolish things that Obama does. The particular foolish thing that I am referring to (as many may not know which one of many) has to do with police officers who act "stupidly". I'm not sure I understand why, just because you are black, AND wealthy, AND a personal friend of the president you are no longer required to comply and cooperate with a police officer. I'm not sure I understand how a police officer can treat you "by the book", just exactly as he would treat a white man who was breaking into a home, and yet be racist. However, that is the platform that Gates has immediately jumped up onto and, unfortunately been followed by many others--apparently, including the President.

This whole story irks me incredibly. My logical brain struggles at times to digest the ridiculous roads that our country sometimes hurls itself down. The "logic" being conveyed on TV is that in the past police officers have been known to have problems with being racist, this man is a cop, therefore he is a racist. That kind of logic would be appalling if it were used in the reverse. Obama will be lucky if his comments don't incite someone to violence. I don't see how turning a "by procedure" arrest into a racial matter is anywhere near healing race relations in our country. Isn't that what Obama said he would work towards?

What I am pleased to see is that this officer is refusing to apologize for following procedure. So many times something like this will happen and some poor cop will be fired or publicly humiliated for daring to arrest a wealthy man. (Some of the rich in our country seem to expect special treatment at all times--that's retarded, offensive and irritating.)

I have been pleased as well to see that many of the online polls relating to this situation have shown the outrage that the people feel over such explosive language from the president.

No comments: