Friday, July 08, 2005

Something Retarded

I just learned of something I think is retarded. It seems that the abbreviations for the Gregorian calendar, B.C. & A.D. are no longer politically correct. B.C.=Before Christ. A.D.=Anno Domini--or the year of our Lord. So, now we are supposed to use B.C.E. (Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era). This way if you don't personally believe in Christ, you won't be offended by the calendar. Now, I do believe in Christ so I may not be as sensitive but was anyone really suffering over the use of A.D.? How many people even knew what it stood for?

I apologize if I am being too insensitive. It just seems like we (our culture) are taking political correctness a bit too far. I mean our kids can't compete in sports because then one team would be the loser and we can't have any losers. They might get their feelings hurt. In schools there can't be a boys line and a girls line, only two gender neutral lines. Because we wouldn't want one sex to feel that they are less than the other because their line isn't as straight...as long...I don't know, whatever. At what point do we stop the insanity?

Don't get me wrong, I believe in compassion, and love, and understanding. I'm just struggling with why we need to erase all of the historical references to Christ in order to achieve it.

No comments: