Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Peace of Ignorance

Notes on the reading of: The Gospel in a Pluralist Society by Leslie Newbegin

Speaking of mission Leslie Newbegin says, "...their mission will not only be a matter of preaching and teaching but also of learning. When he sends them out on their mission, Jesus tells the disciples that there is much for them yet to learn..."

Reflecting on my past experiences with missions and especially my experience in Bristol, England it occurs to me that I have somehow approached these service opportunities in the wrong manner. I have felt the weight of being "all together", the weight of knowing something more, the weight of expectations. I have felt that I should be gifted, especially gifted in evangelism. And if I am not? Then what place do I have here? What right have I to go on mission?

Yet, in his chapter entitled The Logic of Mission, Leslie Newbegin states that it is not my mission.

"To be baptized is to be incorporated into the dying of Jesus so as to become a participant in his risen life, and so to share his ongoing mission to the world.

"His mission. It is of greatest importance to recognize that it remains his mission."

This recognition in my soul this morning has settled a great peace on my heart. I am not expected to know it all, yet. Not expected to have anything together. I am sent on this mission to learn and grow. It's His mission to save souls and to sanctify mine.

I have never felt the peace of ignorance and I hope it is not merely a flash of recognition that passes but a deep knowledge that sinks into the marrow of my soul. That I may be changed forever.

To Your Name be glory and honor forever!

No comments: